Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Objection - Rejection - Dejection

I can clearly remember the first year I started playing organized basketball.  I was ecstatic that I could play “for real” what I did so much in my back yard.  I wasn't familiar with the program, or the process, I just showed up ready to play.  I worked my tail off during those try-outs and listened intently to the coaches.  However, my name was never called when the teams were announced.  There were 5 teams that year, and I didn't make 1 of them.  The feeling of rejection was enormous – I wasn't good enough to play on 1 of the 5 teams who would play games that year.  To make it worse, I got to play on the intramural team – basically a year-long development camp.  We practiced the same time as everyone else, but we had to practice outside on unmarked cement, rusted out backboards, and no rims.  The feeling of rejection was one that lasted the entire season. 

My entire basketball career was filled with objections and rejections.  During my junior season my coach informed me that I was “on the bubble” and that I would probably end up on our varsity B team.  My younger brother made the A team and I was allowed to suit up & warm up with the team, but I would rarely see the floor.  It wasn't a rejection because I still got to participate, but it was a very strong objection because I could not participate to the same extent as everyone else on the team.  Needless to say, I wasn't a very happy player.  Although I never said anything, I made sure that my attitude said everything.  To be honest, my coach was gracious enough to let me stay on the team because my attitude alone warranted me being kicked off.  The feeling of dejection from being objected to lasted the entire season.

These are just a couple of examples from my own playing career.  Chances are that you have experienced them as well.  I’m grateful though that I had a dad who would never let me quit, and a coach who made it a point to continually try to help me.  It’s because of these experiences, and the lessons God taught me, that I was able to overcome many different work issues, death, and life changes throughout my very short career and marriage.

As a person or a player, objection, rejection, and dejection are 3 things that you will experience in life.  As a player you have more than likely experienced the feeling of getting cut or losing a starting spot.  As an adult, you have no doubt experienced a lay-off, cut in pay, divorce, or loss of a loved one.  It’s in these moments of objections and rejections that dejection begins to take root in our hearts.  These moments are like high winds and rolling waves on an open sea – you don’t think you are going to make it, and begin to sink into hopelessness.

The Apostle Peter was this way.  In Matthew 14 we find the story of Jesus walking on the water.   As Jesus is walking near the disciple’s boat they start to cry out in fear not knowing that it was their Master.  Finally, Jesus speaks in an effort to calm them.  Peter has doubts though.  He asks Jesus if he can come join Him by walking on the water from the boat.  The winds were raging and the waves were rolling, but Peter gets out of boat anyways.  As Peter begins to walk towards the Lord on the water he takes his eyes off Jesus and starts to look at his circumstances.  As the fear of the wind and waves mount up against Peter, he begins to sink. 

This is the typical life experience of every human being.  The wind and waves of objection and rejection, and the subsequent feeling of dejection cause us to lose hope – we take our eyes off the Lord.  We begin to sink in the storm of our circumstances.  We forget that the power of Jesus is so great that even the wind and sea obey him (Matt. 8:27).  We forget that during these circumstances Jesus tells us to “Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid” (Matt. 14:27).

We can’t get away from the storms of objection, rejection, and dejection in our lives. However, let me encourage you with this – instead of being fearful of the wind and waves of our circumstances – keep your eyes on Jesus. In John 16:33, Jesus says "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Don't let the storms of life overcome you. Instead, overcome the storms. Have faith. Walk on the water.

Coach CJ
Executive Director – C.H.S.M.

Follow CHSM on Twitter (@chsmhouston)
Follow Coach CJ on Twitter (@CJPomeroy1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel! (chsmhouston)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comment for our team. We would love to hear from you! Don't forget to +1 this if you enjoyed what you read. Thanks!